Rooting For The Underdogs

The unlikely dream the biggest.

Newton's 3rd Law and why it Sucks

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Although, Isaac Newton was a scientist, and the above statement is really intended for use in making physics equations as it relates to motion... I find it an astute observation about the universe. Of coarse Newton wasn't the only one to see it. Buddhists call it karma. Oprah calls it empowerment. Milton Bradley calls it Shutes and Ladders. I call it choice and consequence.

I've pretty much accepted this as a way of life. It goes back to my firm up bringing in modern/linear thinking. "If I make this choice, then the actions that follow are a result of that choice. Therefore, it's no ones fault but mine, and to move on I have to choose again." Every day is a list of decisions that will shape the future. If you wrong someone, it usually comes back to bite you. If you do good, usually you are blessed in return. Usually...

This system has a flaw. You see while Newton dealt with "The Universe" he was dealing with the laws of physics and nature. Things that do not change and that function the way God intended. People are different. There are a number of people on this earth that believe the rules do not apply to them. And they're screwing it up for the rest of us. I don't mean that they don't think the Pool Rules or the Class Rules or the Rules of the Law apply to them. I mean they think that in some why they can defy the laws that glue the very fabric of time together.

My brother right now is battling addiction. By battling I mean... we're battling his addiction. He doesn't see it. He doesn't see that his addiction has consequences. He truly believes that he can Forest Gump his way through life and expect his wife, his family, and friends to pick up the pieces. He doesn't get that his choices affect other people. And he is just selfish enough not to care. I've realized that my actions do have an equal and opposite reaction. I help him and he hurts me back. He hurts me and I help him. What that hell is that!?! He thinks he should have a good job, 2.5 children, a healthy marriage, a ministry, and a nice home, but he is not willing to choose any of it. He thinks he should be able to run himself into the ground and the world will just cough up all of that. I don't know what to do anymore.

0 comments:

Followers