Rooting For The Underdogs

The unlikely dream the biggest.

The Family Business

So there is a rather large church in Naperville called Community Christian Church. It is a good church that a few of my friends attend, volunteer, and work at. The great thing is that they have their own "Young Adult" small group. This works out great for me. I can see some old friends, make some new ones, get tips on how a progressive church is doing things, and have some accountability from people who won't feel weird about me being a minister.

However, it is always interesting to watch people's reactions when I tell them I work for my father. It's always "oh, really?" and they make a face like they just tasted something they didn't expect and don't really know if they like it.

I like it. Not telling people that, but doing it. My Dad and I have an interesting relationship. In many ways I take my cues from him. I trust his leadership and his direction. He can say things to me like, "You know Luke... there are a lot of new songs coming up... you might want to put in some hymns if they fit into what you are doing. I'm not try to appease people, but don't forget they are there." Just the way he says it, I have no problems doing it.

On the other hand, my Dad doesn't necessarily "learn" from me, but in some strange way he looks to me for some kind of advice or validation to take a new direction. Just recently I gave my Dad three books to read. They are about office management the way Romeo and Juliet was about a crush. It is a tremendous book about vision, purpose, and leading a group of people to their goals. He started reading them just as a gesture of indulging his son, but quickly devoured them and the next staff meeting sits us all down Me (worship and small groups), Wade (Youth), Mary Ann (Childrens), Patti (Secretary), and Gayla (Janitor)... he says to us. I think we need to pick a destination. We have a vision, but we don't know where we want that vision to take us. And he goes on to say, "I don't know where we need to be, but I know we'll never get their if we don't seek the destination the Lord has for us. We need a goal and it must be measurable." Then he gives me a little knowing smile because it was all in those three books.

I truly believe my father and I have an "iron sharpens iron" relationship. Something I've missed for a long time. I feel like I have something to learn and something to give in the relationship. So people can make whatever faces they want.

0 comments:

Followers