Rooting For The Underdogs

The unlikely dream the biggest.

Revenge of the Nerds!

I am and have always been a nerd. Allow me to illustrate my point.

In the early years of my high school experience I was placed in a gym class that was everything you expect from a stereotypical gym class. Underclassmen were periodically thrown into the shower if you could not manage a death grip on your locker door like Chris who was suspended horizontally for a good 3 minutes while three seniors helped him put permanent finger shaped indents in his locker door. Or Thomas who wheeled himself out to stretches late because he was duct taped to a computer chair. But the fun didn't stop then...

Because gym was immediately followed by lunch. And seven of us who were in gym together and lets say "were in desperate lack of cool" sat at the table next to the seniors. We were each given nick-names like "Luc's Peep Show" "Hunch" "Ike" "Stewart" "Glass Eye" and "The Mole Man."
And just about every other day, the lunch room was captivated to see which one of us would get (be forced) to wear the hat that the seniors had made that day out of the various cups and containers they had eaten their lunch out of. Never before had cruelty been so avante garde. I would have saluted their creativity if I didn't have fry grease running down my forehead.

I had more than my fair share of experiences as a nerd in Jr. High and Sr. High. It used to be a daily grind on my self-esteem and let's just say it kept me on my toes. I used to wonder what life would have been like as one of the "beautiful" people.

But now I think that nerds are the "new black." With the help of Weezer, Napoleon Dynamite, the return of 80's fashion, Bill Gates (our leader), and all the other rich nerds dating supermodels... nerds have made a comeback. I would be proud to raise children who are nerds, (this will more than likely happen whether I like it or not) because it is not about being a social outcast anymore. It seems to be a right of passage to doing great things and being successful and well balanced. Because now that the flood of awkwardness has receded, it turns out my friends and I are well adjusted and ended up not that weird looking. Just wait til the reunion...

0 comments:

Followers