Rooting For The Underdogs

The unlikely dream the biggest.

Hey Who's Your Hot Date?!

The other night my Dad and I are sitting around bored out of our skulls. So we decided we will traverse the whole 2 blocks to the movie theatre WOW 7. Which stands for Weally Owesome Wovies in case you were wondering. I personally can't stand going to this theatre. They employ those whom we call "the chair Nazis." The actually have people that just wonder through the seven theatres making sure that you don't put your feet on the seat in front of you. You can talk through the movie, throw popcorn like you're trying to grow a field of it on the floor, you could probably make obscene shadow puppets at a Disney film showing, but if you put your feet on the seat you'll be booted out of the cinema so fast it will make your head spin. I don't know how these people sleep at night. That would be like being a night club bouncer and your sole responsibility was to keep out the rif-raf that tried to talk over the music. Surely you have better things to do. Anyway, I digress.

While in line to buy tickets I see a kid in the youth group named Eric. Eric is the little brother of a friend of mine that I went to youth group with. I turn to talk to Eric and just notice out of the corner of my eye a girl with him. I say, "What's up up man.." and I was going to continue on to say, "oh, you out on a hot date?" What can I say? I like to embarrass the kids in public any chance I get. But before those words passed my lips, I look to see who it is. It's his sister.

Patina is one of those girls that is fun to grow up with. She was fairly drama-free and usually had more fun hanging out with the guys than with the girls. Usually every group has one of these girls: the girl most of the other girls are uncomfortable around because they don't understand a girl that doesn't have hidden agendas with the boys she hangs out with. She was/is cool as all-get-out. I took her to prom my senior year of high school and she put Blue highlights in her hair to match her dress and my tux. Unfortunately, this reunion was slightly awkward, as most high school reunions are. At least when they are an organized event there is plenty of alcohol to cushion the blow. She didn't really blame me for not recognizing her right away. She claims that when her and Eric go out together his friends always say things like, "Hey Eric, your date is hot!" I remembered Patina in jeans with black fingernail polish and short spiky hair. Now her hair is long, her nails are manicured, and her favorite color is pink. She is no longer one of the guys, but quite feminine. We exchanged the uneasy banter of people that haven't seen each other in forever and live only a short distance apart. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was that made it so weird.

Granted, these appearances of old classmates and friends is becoming almost a weekly phenomenon. But mostly they are awkward because I didn't really fit in during high school and don't really care to see these people again. But I was glad to see Patina, but I somehow we couldn't shake this semi-thick cushion of apprehensiveness. We exchanged numbers and decided we would have coffee on Sunday. I don't really drink coffee, but it's still fun to say.

Come to find out through talking for a good four hours at Panera (the best place on Earth), she thought the reason I didn't talk to her any more was because she stopped going to church. Truthfully, the reason I didn't talk to her any more is that I just liked college and didn't go home much. So naturally I lost touch. I feel like I'm in some kind of 12 step program where you have to find everyone you ever knew and rehash things. We have now dispelled the awkwardness and are resuming our friendship. Ah, Happy Ending?

I curious to see who I'm going run into next.

0 comments:

Followers